Friday 25 January 2013

It's Over

Cowdall Rd. Braunstone
Leicester.

May 1945. VE Day.

O youth those tender years have gone,
I’m ageing now it seems so long.
Since kids played hop scotch in the street,
And ran to Mr’s Moore’s for sweets.

When building dens was all the rage,
Bonfires set the green ablaze,
Winter warmers whirl, crash,
Hurled by kids who’d watch them smash.

In gardens street or anywhere,
Not a thought, nary a care,
Then Glad Ashley’s strident voice.
“Sorry Glad it’s Hobson’s choice”

Winters cold begins to clear,
I feel the warmth of summers cheer,
Marlene Bishop sets her stall,
Selling things to one, all.

Its party time, what a treat!
Table stretching down the street,
Hitlers lost that awful war,
I wonder what he started for?

Some days the street was quiet, bare,
I guess they’ve gone the summer fair,
Braunny spinney I then would roam,
Birds nesting for an hour alone.

Just a glimpse of days gone by,
When skylarks twittered in the sky,
Those youthful days I sadly miss,
Occasionally, when I reminisce.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YUx3MU9iM6c

http://www.stevebulman.f9.co.uk/cumbria ... ehaven.jpg

jobee 06.

No comments:

Post a Comment